It’s been a few months now that I have gone off using chemical formulated floor cleaners/cleaning products in my household.
I watched a movie on Netflix about the dangers of all the cleaning products we use and it terrified me (it was called “The Human Experiment”).
“Thousands of untested chemicals are in our everyday products, our homes and inside of us. Simultaneously, the prevalence of many diseases continues to rise”.
Our children/babies (and yes US) walk and play on our floors 24/7. Imagine you are using a cleaning product full of chemicals and your child is playing on the floor (maybe crawling). He/she then puts their hand/finger inside their mouth. That residue that was left on the floor from the cleaning product now gets ingested by them…and so on and so on. Not to freak you out, just stating the facts. Even when we walk barefoot on the floors the residue from chemicals can seep into our feet/skin.
Feeling a bit panicky? Don’t stress, I have just the solution! A very easy DIY cleaner that is both effective & safe!
- Tea Tree Oil (large bottle 59 AED at pharmacy-will last close to one year)
- Lavender essential oil (optional)
- Extra large bottle of white vinegar (9 AED at Carrefour)
- Fill your cleaning bucket half way with hot water
- Add 5 drops of tea tree oil
- Add 2 drops of lavender oil (optional)
- Add 1/2 cup of vinegar
- Wash floors!
You can also use a simple water/vinegar floor cleaner but I like adding the tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is distilled from Melaleuca alternifolia (Australian tree). This powerful botanic oil has an abundance of beneficial properties; it is antiseptic & antifungal (great for cleaning) + much more!
All Purpose Cleaner:
- An empty spray bottle (can be found at any grocery store)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 15-20 drops of tea tree oil (if you want a stronger antibacterial spray just add more)
- Pour all ingredients into spray bottle and use at your leisure
- Great for windows, counter top surfaces, toilets and more! It literally is an ALL purpose cleaner!