These are my second fav healthy cookies to make for my family!
(My number #1 still goes to my Mama’s Oatie Cookies).
This recipe comes straight out of the Jessica Seinfield “Double Delicious” cookbook! Sadly I can’t take any credit for creating this cookie!
If you have never tried her recipes, you really should! She incorporates all sorts of healthy things in a sneaky way so our kiddies will eat it!
“Jessica Seinfeld inspired millions of parents to improve their kids’ eating habits by giving everyday classics a nutritional boost with hidden vegetable purees. She’s raised the bar nutritionally and eliminated unnecessary sugar and fat, boosted fiber and nutrients, and cut way back on sodium to bring us more healthful food with fantastic flavor.”
These chocolate chip cookies contain chickpeas to make them ultra healthy!
- I can low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed (my favorite brand is Eden as the cans are BPA free!)
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoon margarine (but I prefer using natural butter)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (Carrefour & Spinneys sell a big jar made by a German company for 10 AED and it’s very good)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat (skim) milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. In a chopper, puree the chickpeas until smooth, set aside
2. Preheat oven to 180 C and line baking sheet with parchment paper
3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside
4. In another large bowl, beat the margarine, sugars, and applesauce with an electric mixer on low for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Add the chickpeas, milk, vanilla extract, and egg whites. Blend until smooth
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients
6. Add the chocolate chips and mix with spatula until flour is combined
7. Using an ice cream scooper, drop the dough onto the baking sheet
8. Bake until the cookies are golden brown (roughly 10-12 minutes)
9. Let cookies sit for a minute on tray before transferring to a wire rack
10. Serve with a cold glass of milk! Yum!